Snow Dump

Bettina Juszak

A series of musings on American culture by a German exchange student.

So, remember the time I said something about wanting snow and there not going to be any snow during school hours? I take it back. All of it. Not only has there been a more than ample amount of snow, it also completely and thoroughly disrupted school. So there; proven wrong on both accounts.

At this point in time I feel confident to say that there are very few people actually wanting more snow – and we are only a bit more than half-way through the winter. Endless hours of shoveling powdery white stuff out of our driveway (so much for not needing a snow-blower since there normally isn’t that much snow) and being stuck at home have taken their toll on my wish for snow (have completely obliterated it, to be precise). Yes, the world does look pretty all in white, but only as long as one doesn’t have to try to get anything done in it. And snow isn’t the only problem; there is also a dangerous abundance of icicles adorning virtually every house (I really don’t want to be hit by one – my year here is already exciting enough!), and the freezing cold. Oh and not to forget the ice beneath the layers of snow (I’m still waiting for the inevitable face-plant).

The one upside is that not having school due to snow days is really nice, especially as a senior, as it is something that normally doesn’t happen in Germany. Less school, a good thing indeed.

Not so good in contrast was (and in some cases still is) the confusion in school and schedule our frequent snow storms have left in their wakes. Notifications of snow days and two hour delays in the middle of the night, teachers despairing of ever getting their lesson plans in order again, and most memorably never knowing when one’s midterm would actually take place.

When there actually were midterms taking place, the days were surprisingly relaxing. Students got to sleep in a little longer, and only two midterms a day at most were a manageable amount of work. Frankly, I had thought it would be harder (not that I’m complaining though).

And then there was last Tuesday, on which we really should have had at least an early release (there were delays for less) as getting home in a car was quite an adventure. It already started with the senior parking lot and all the cars being completely snowed in. If we hadn’t had a shovel to dig the car out it would have taken at least half an hour to get out of there (some people did have that problem; hockey sticks don’t make a very good shoveling tool). As soon as we pulled out of the parking lot, we already encountered one car stalled at the side of the road, and another headfirst in a snowbank at the intersection. A few minutes later, a hill nearly led to our demise. We did make it home in the end, but in conditions we normally really wouldn’t drive in. I know there needs to be school too, but not with such dangers for students.

The newest question presenting itself now is: what to do with all of that snow? Where to put it? Mounds of snow are already reaching heights like twice as high as a person, streets are getting narrower and narrower, walkways don’t exist anymore. Something will have to be done – more snow is on its way, if weather reports are to be believed.

New England is presenting herself in her snowiest light this winter; I have never had that much snow in Germany – figures that I would be here during the snowiest winter in several years.